The Over-Sanitization of Our Kids
- Topic Info:As our culture becomes more germophobic than ever, new science reveals that the things we thought we had to protect our kids from are the things that make them healthy: the bacteria, viruses, and parasites that are the stuff of dirt.
Dr. Maya Shetreat-Klein's new book, The Dirt Cure, explores the groundbreaking research about why DIRT can heal kids’ ills -- from eczema and ear infections to anxiety and ADHD -- and how keep your healthy kids (really, truly) well.
Dr. Shetreat-Klein joins Dr. Susanne to reveal the three principals that are critical for a healthy child:
- Germs: Children’s immune systems no longer get exposed to enough bacteria and other microbes that prime the immune system to be healthy.
- Soil Sourced Foods: Nutrient-dense food infused with sunshine, fresh air, and clean water, rich with vitamins, minerals, phytochemicals, and beneﬁcial bacteria (all derived from the soil) provides integral building blocks from nature critical for children’s bodies and brains.
- Nature Kids who take walks in parks or play in green playgrounds have improved attention spans, lowered ADHD, have better test performance and are happier and calmer than their peers who spend their time inside. Spending time outside boosts children’s immune system function measurably.
- Book Title: The Dirt Cure: Growing Healthy Kids with Food Straight from Soil
- Guest Website:The Dirt Cure
- Host: Susanne Bennett, DC