Thriving as an Empath
- Topic Info:Empaths are individuals who are very sensitive, deep, and loving towards others.
It's a beautiful characteristic to have, but oftentimes empaths struggle with self-care. They often give too much at the expense of their own well-being -- and end up absorbing the stress of others.
In her book, Thriving as an Empath, Judith Orloff, MD, writes, “To stay healthy and happy, you must be ready with daily self-care practices that work.” A few practices she advises include:
- Setting strong boundaries
- Protecting your energy
- Inoculating yourself against stress and overwhelm
- Self-soothing techniques
- Knowing that it is not your job to take on the world’s stress
- Breaking the momentum of sensory overload
- Tapping the vitality of all four seasons and the elements
- Deepening your connection with the cycles of nature
- Moving out of clock-based time into “sacred time”
- Book Title: The Empath’s Survival Guide: Life Strategies for Sensitive People
- Guest Website:Judith Orloff, MD
- Host: Andrea Donsky, RHN and Lisa Davis, MPH