One common problem when the weather turns cold is carbon monoxide poison.
Dr. Eric Lavonas, director of the Rocky Mountain Poison and Drug Center, speaks about the silent killer: carbon monoxide.
The name alone speaks to the severity of this poison, as it is the #1 poison that is likely to kill you.
Carbon monoxide leaks are not detectable by smell or sight.
Every home should be equipped with a carbon monoxide detector; it could save your life. They will detect high levels of gas and allow you to get out of the home long before any loss of consciousness or life-threatening risks set in.
Carbon monoxide poisoning can often mimic symptoms of the flu; however, it does not cause fever. So if you have more than one person in your household sick with no fever it could very well be CO2 poisoning.
- Muscle aches
- Feeling weak or tired
- Stomach aches and diarrhea
Some other helpful hints include:
- If you are stuck in a car, make sure your tailpipe is clear and be aware of above symptoms.
- Do not bring CO2 sources, such as propane tanks or grills into your home to use them as heating sources.
- Do not leave running cars in your garage, especially attached garages.
The absolute best bet to protect you and your family is to install a detector and check them monthly to ensure a working monitor.
Be smart and safe this winter!