- 4 portions 1 1/4 pounds Faroe Island salmon fillet, skinned and cut crosswise
- Teaspoon each dark chili powder, coriander & cumin combined
- 3 tablespoons Extra Virgin olive oil
- 3 yellow tomatoes, halved
- 10 garlic cloves
- 1/2 cup toasted almonds
- 1 yellow pepper top off and cut into quarters 1/2 cup sherry wine vinegar
- 3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- Kosher salt & black pepper to taste
- 2 cups olive oil
- 4 teaspoons red pepper flakes
Preheat the oven to 450 F.
Arrange the tomatoes, peppers, and garlic, salt, pepper & paprika on a baking sheet; roast for 15-20 minutes. Transfer to a food processor and pulse to roughly break up.
Add the vinegar & oil. Pulse again until well combined. It is best if allowed to rest so the flavors can meld I like to do it the day before so it comes together well .
To toast almonds stir constantly in a small dry skillet over medium-low heat until fragrant and lightly browned, 2 to 4 minutes.
Prepare grill to medium high.
Coat salmon on both sides with olive oil, and then sprinkle with coriander, dark chili powder & cumin mixture salt & pepper, grill, turning once, until the salmon is just cooked through about 3 to 4 minutes per side.
Combine the oil and crushed red pepper flakes in a heavy small saucepan. Cook over low heat about 5 minutes. Remove from heat. Cool to room temperature, about 2 hours. Transfer the oil and pepper flakes to a bottle. Seal the lid. Refrigerate up to 1 month. I keep squeeze bottles of flavored oils available at all times. If you don’t want the oil getting too spicy remove the pepper flakes through a strainer after 24 hours.
To serve, warm the romesco sauce and put it on the center of the plate, grilled salmon on top of the sauce. Adorn with toasted almonds. Garnish the plate with the chili oil.