While this may make you feel a little warmer and cozier, you could actually be wreaking havoc on your skin. The dry, itchy, flaky and cracking of ALL areas of your body can make the already miserable winter months even worse.
Why does winter bring out the worst in your skin?
During the winter months, the air becomes drier, causing your skin to become dehydrated. This can lead to the cracking, rough, flaky, and itchy skin sensations.
What are some things you should consider to help your winter skin?
- Avoid long, hot showers. Try using lukewarm water as much as you can.
- If you are taking a bath, try a therapeutic one such as with oatmeal or sea salt.
- Drink LOTS of water; hydrating from the inside out is very important.
- Consider using aromatherapy to help ease anxiety and depression and improve your mood during winter's shorter days (and longer nights).
- Use a moisturized, sulfate-free oil-based soap, because washing your hands repeatedly can cause them to become dry and cracked.
- Use hydrating body washes and creams that use plant-based oils like almond, avocado, and primrose.
- Use moisturizers on your face that contain natural ingredients and will promote the retention of water in your skin (e.g. honey, hyaluronic acid).
- Keep your immune system healthy since inflammation can cause problems for your skin.
- Add a humidifier to your home.
U.S. frontman for Giorgio Armani Beauty, Tim Quinn, discusses why the winter can wreak havoc on your skin, as well as some tips that can help keep your skin moisturized all winter long.